[OSM-newbies] Opendata group Analysis

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 00:44:36 BST 2010

They had a meeting in our city hall today.  What they appear to be doing is
taking a list of locations in a spreadsheet format such as drinking
fountains then overlaying them on top of Google maps using an icon.
Moderately lightweight stuff that needs little understanding of the data but
can be done rapidly.

For example one "application" was playing back the buses passing a bus stop,
the application used the data file speeded up and went ping or beep and to
play a small tune.

The reason I've posted in both CA and Newbies is we don't appear to have the
same capabilities in OpenStreetMap unless I'm missing something and their
applications use Google Map as a background image and sticks the icons in on
top.  Anyone have any knowledge of what they are doing or how they are doing
it?

I did notice that 9 out of 10 computers were mac notebooks of one type or
another so we probably aren't talking terribly technical stuff here, but if
it could be done using OpenStreetMap as a basis that might be worth
following up as they do seem to be good at hype.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Cheerio John