[OSM-newbies] Locking tags is it possible?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Apr 29 19:04:13 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM, john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to set up an OSM server for a city but retain control over the values
> in the tags.  So that means stopping people deleting or editing certain
> POIs.  The application is tagging roads with the speed limits and aed
> defibrillators POIs.
>
> Whilst I could just not allow all edits I would like to allow the addition
> of POIs and the editing of these.

To see earlier discussions on similar topics, have a search for
"immutable tags" or similar.  I think the discussion was on talk, or
talk-us.

Having tags, or subsets of data in OSM that are not available to all
for editing has been suggested before.  The potential advantages
("official" data, reduced accidental errors) are recognized as are the
drawbacks (incorrect "official" data, super-user vetting and
certification, division of community).  Previous discussions on this
topic have not lead to support for immutable tags, or controlled data
sets.

Such protected data sets in OSM are not required, based on your
description above.  You could use OSM as a base map, but not render
data that does not interest your client.  Render instead, their
official copy of their magical data, and display it atop the OSM
community data.  Of course you'll have to do this in a way that meets
the obligations of the licenses ccbysa, and in future ODbL.