[OSM-newbies] Contributing Art, icons, GUI elements?

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Aug 8 12:31:38 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Ken Vermette <vermette at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh yes, forgot to ask... Is this a replies-on-top mailing list? I've been on
> a few that get.... Fidgetey with that.

Hi Ken, and welcome.

This newbies list aims to be friendly.  And less fidgety about that
sort of thing.  In general I'd say that OSM related lists tend towards
reply below, and towards reply-to-sender being the default.  There may
be exceptions.

> Anyway, I can most certainly chip away at those in my spare time. I was
> somewhat bored already, so while I was waiting for a reply I did take a hack
> at re-designing the OSM logo icon, I can't post it to the wiki, it won't let
> me, but I can link it:

wiki.openstretmap.org and www.openstreetmap.org have separate
registration and accounts.  You should be able to sign up for wiki
without issue.

> http://kver.ca/images/75f879eb1281252156_1.png
>
> I can upload the SVG once I set up a wiki account and get it to autoapprove
> status for uploads. If there's anything very specific that's needed (and not
> just my random selections) please, do tell me. It's a little hard to tell
> what's critical/important/wanted since I don't speak... That (Russian,
> German?). :S

I'm not aware of a central body in OSM to select and approve graphic
elements etc. so you may feel like you are designing graphics for many
different, related projects.  You might find that you are deluged by
an avalanche of folks asking for your contributions for specific
OSM-related issues, or you may find that some folks are resistant to
your contributions.

Feel free to join specific mailing lists to reach a larger audience
with narrower focus.  Many of the folks with commit access to many OSM
projects are on the dev list, so that might be a good place to start.