[OSM-newbies] Just viewing roads and neatly creating cycle routes

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue Aug 10 17:15:46 BST 2010

  On 10/08/2010 16:19, Richard Weait wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM, HotBelgo<hotbelgo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi
>> Two newbie questions
> Hi and welcome!
>
>> 1. When I download map data for my area there is a huge amount of detail including of fields and similar areas.   Is there a way to just see the roads to simplify editing?
> The JOSM editor will let you selectively hide objects.  That sounds
> risky to me as you wouldn't want to edit an object that you have
> partially hidden.

Yes, say you want to move a road laterally you'll need to moves adjacent
objects such as bus stops, post boxes, the boundary of residential/field
areas etc.

>> 2. I'm trying to create cycle routes in my area by editing the relevant 'relations'.  However, when a cycle route passes for e.g. 100m along a main road I'm finding myself having to chop the main route up so that the 100m section can be added to the cycle route.  Is that the right thing to do?
> That is correct.

Annoying, but probably correct, unless cycle route isn't actually part
of the highway but runs parallel to it with a separating reservation of
some kind. In which case I prefer to map& tag it with it's own way to
clearly indicate you don't have to use the main highway.

Cheers
Dave F.