[OSM-newbies] Turning Circles at the end of cul-de-sacs ??

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Aug 23 15:15:00 BST 2010

  On 8/23/10 10:09 AM, Iain Simpson wrote:
> I've only been with OSM for just over a month, but I've just been
> mapping a largish residential area in S-W Stafford (around Westway)
> with a lot of Cul-de-sacs (Culs-de-sac !!!). I've just started adding
> a turning area at the end of some of them.
>
> Although this is accurate (see definition
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Turning_circle) - I feel that when
> rendered (mapnic or osmarender) it makes them look like lollipops.
> Also nearly all of them have a turning area so is it worth while ?
>
> Most area do not seem to include them and the map is easier to read.
a fair number of street ends in many parts of the world do not have
turning circles. i'd say that if you don't like the rendering, that's
something to take up with the authors of the rendering programs, but
the presence or absence of the tag is a matter of accurate data and the
tags should definitely be there if the turning circle is there.

don't let the behavior of the rendering programs cause you to tag
inaccurately.

richard