[OSM-newbies] Turning Circles at the end of cul-de-sacs ??

Iain Simpson iainsimpson at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 23 22:40:12 BST 2010

I'm quite happy to go along with agreed methods.

In defence of my original argument - now lost <grin>

as the map

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.7918493747711&lon=-2.12611198425293&zoom=16

  will show
  - many culs-de-sac in this area are quite short
	(The longer ones look OK)
  - they just seemed a bit strange when the head was 1/4 length of the body
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.7918493747711&lon=-2.12611198425293&zoom=16
I'm sometimes a bit confused on the amount of data one should record
when surveying an area for the first time.
Stafford has a huge amount of unmapped space and I felt that the most
important thing was to record the position of the roads (and footpaths
!) accurately. When this has been done the detail can be added.

I am trying to fully survey all the areas I map with my GPS (Etrex H)
and not rely on OSOpenView. (unlike others who have traced roads from
the OS , tagged them  highway=unclassified/source=OS_OpenData_StreetView)

Incidently I found a nice easter egg in Google Maps - 'Ely Pl' is not there!
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.79002815485&lon=-2.13463604450226&zoom=18)
at the end of Whitby Close off Melrose Avenue. It's on the Google map
but not on Google street view !)

On that lighter note
cheers

Iain

DaveF wrote

> On 23/08/2010 21:40, Iain Simpson wrote:
>> Thanks for response I appear to be doing it right  in spite of my qualms !
>>
>> Final points
>>     - most culs-de-sac are very short 20m+
>
> Hmm... Not sure I agree with you there. They could be any length, but not sure what why that would make a difference in OSM
>

>>     - the 'Turning circle' very rarely is circular!
>
> I would say they were....Sorry if I'm not doing this right - not used to it
>
>>         - usually
>>             - a slight 'Y' shape (arms 2m long)
>>              - a small side branch (2-3m)
>
> ...because personally I map these as  'Y' & branches...
>
>>             - a general widening with 2/3 parking spaces
>

> ...& these as parking areas if there's defining markings. A bit fiddly for some maybe, but makes it clear & accurate.
>

>>     I think that this is the normal pattern for culs-de sac
>>      (at least round Stafford)Sorry if I'm not doing this right - not used to it
>>
>> Ref (not sure of best way of giving this)
>>     : S-W Stafford - Area to west of Westway
>>     :  changeset # 5570031, iain1940 23.08.10)
>
> Go to the map Main Page, click on show me the map,
>
> Zoom & pan to the area you want. Bottom right of the map, right click on either Permalink or Shortlink, click Save Link As (or something similar) & paste it into an email.
>
> -----
> Also could you post you replies to the forum please, so the threads remains complete & that all can learn from the threads.

Sorry if I'm not doing this quite right - not used to it yet