[OSM-newbies] How to (awesomely) map a small Northern Ontario town

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 02:28:40 BST 2010

I'm spending a few days next week in a town in Northern Ontario. It has
all the roads in, thanks to the import of Canada's map data by dedicated
OSMers. What it doesn't have is the trails, museum(s), hotels,
restaurants, shopping mall, donut shop ...

I'm pretty new to this. Assume I have a notepad and pencil, GPS (and
know how to use it), camera, laptop and net connection. I've entered a
few edits in my neighbourhood, around 43.73ºN, 79.26ºW. What could I
usefully do in a day or so to make this little community's map pop?

If I knew how, I'd print out the existing tiles at a decent zoom level
on my large format printer, then mark it up. Unfortunately, I don't know
how to get the tiles.

cheers,
 Stewart

--