[OSM-newbies] GPS vs Tracing

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Dec 1 00:28:47 GMT 2010

On 11/30/10 6:53 PM, john at jfeldredge.com wrote:
> One thing that I have noted with my car GPS, and to a lesser degree with my cell phone's GPS, is that it is less accurate when it first starts up, and has just gotten a fix on the satellites, than after I have moved around a little.  This may represent some sort of averaging being applied to the results.  My car GPS is sometimes 30 or 40 meters off in the initial location it shows; this corrects itself within a few seconds once I start moving.
there's a period while the GPS acquires satellite signals.

if you look at the initial screen on a current model Garmin Nuvi,
there's a signal strength bar in the upper left corner. press it for
8-10 seconds, and a display showing the satellites that are
potentially available, which ones are actually acquired, and
the lat/long and degree of accuracy pops up.

richard