[OSM-newbies] Fwd: RE:

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 22:21:09 GMT 2010

It sounds like all you want is a background image to fly your balloons over.

The OSM tiles would work well for that. The one caveat is that if you
are expecting a million users, then that will put a large load on the
OSM servers trying to serve all the image tiles needed. You could
probably set up your own tile server, and create and store tiles
locally to be served to your game.

You might even be able to make use of the Yahoo imagery that OSM uses.
You'd have to look into the legalities of that. The OSM project has
just gotten access to Bing aerial imagery as well, but you indicate
that Bing wants money from you for the use of their images.

If you just want to use the OSM map as a background for your
application (game), there should be no issues. There are many projects
using the OSM map as a background image without restriction.

James
VE6SRV