[OSM-newbies] Fwd: RE:

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 23:42:25 GMT 2010

As James says the map part isn't a problem.  If the normal web tiles show
the wrong sort of icons etc Maperitive amongst others gives a lot more
control over the display.  You'll need an OSM ccby sa or what ever the red
tape is but other than that you are free to use OSM maps.  Realistically are
you running from a database on the local machine for the game or a web
server?  Can you cache the tiles on the local machine to save refreshing
from the server?  OSM servers don't always give the speed of response your
game players might like however the cost of setting your own servers up
might well make it worthwhile bribing OSM to get some faster server or disk
drives etc.  Because the window is small the tile load shouldn't be too
great by the way.

In windows the way I'd approach it would be to use Maperitive to create the
local display then use zoom levels on the Map you can control what is
displayed by the zoom level.  As you descend so you see more detail.  The
number of tiles you'd need would be moderately high but the display window
is fairly small.  I'd also strip out any unrequired detail from the Map
database or OSM file.  That way you keep the file size small and the
response time up.  Igor the programmer for Maperitive is open to bribes to
add features to his software, always useful to know.

The Ariel view I have a problem with, no one that I'm aware of has this
available for free.  However there are a few people who have done this at a
reasonable cost, it's called a garbage bag full of helium with a camera
attached on a long line.  You float it up taking photos all the time.  I
think the quality would be good enough for your purposes.  Initially I'd
make it available for one or two cities where some one has done this, for
the other cities a message saying technical fault with the viewer adds
character to your game.  Here its a matter of finding the people who know
how to do this and perhaps even meeting the cost.  India for example doesn't
have a lot of equipment to do mapping but something like this in the right
hands would get you what you want and help the local mappers.

Best of luck

Cheerio John