[OSM-newbies] Abandoned Army Base

Kenneth Pardue kenneth at pardue.me
Wed Dec 15 19:41:27 GMT 2010

Here's one that's a bit of a unique situation.  My local area has an old army base that was abandoned after World War II.  They basically just left all the buildings and roads to fall into disrepair.  It's been 70 years since, but some of the roads are still accessible and used by local traffic.  Most of them are impassible or covered by vegetation.

First off, I've got the area tagged as historic:ruin, landuse:military, and military:abandoned.  Is this correct?  The roads, the ones that are in poor condition but still drivable, that is, I have tagged as access:permissive.  Is this the best way to show that the roads are still accessible, but discourage routers from sending people down them?  And finally, from a potential archaeological standpoint, is it acceptable to trace in the rest of the roads from the old base and tag them with something like disused:yes?  It seems like it would be good to have these roads on the map in some form, even if they're not navigable.  The forestry service owns this land now and there are a number of ATV trails through the area.