[OSM-newbies] Abandoned Army Base

Xan dxpublica at telefonica.net
Fri Dec 17 13:11:47 GMT 2010

Al 17/12/10 07:41, En/na Steve Bennett ha escrit:
 > On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Kenneth Pardue <kenneth at pardue.me>
wrote:
 >>  Is this correct?  The roads, the ones that are in poor condition
but still drivable, that is, I have
 >> tagged as access:permissive.  Is this the best way to show that the
roads are still accessible,
 >> but discourage routers from sending people down them?
 >
 > No. I believe the "yes/permissive/private/no" grading scale makes
 > sense in the UK where there are legally enshrined "rights of way", but
 > it falls down everywhere else. Essentially it's this: if the public
 > can drive there, it's "access=yes" (or motorcar=yes). If they can't,
 > it's "access=no".

Well, not only in UK. In Spain there is right of way too.

I think the key is who _has_ the propierty of the highways. If the roads
are military but people use it, even army base is abandoned, I mark as
"permissive". If roads are public (from the Public Administration, from
the State) (I don't know if the roads are public in USA), then I mark as
"yes"

Is there any Public Organization for querying if one road is public or
private? In Spain there is a "Cadastro": it  maps all public roads, even
all houses (public and private) and limits of propierties. It has a
public WMS. So it's easy to see if a road is public or private: if it
appears in WMS, then it's public. If not, private. But there are
exceptions: private roads with right of way (that are mapped too).....

I hope this serves....

Xan.