[OSM-newbies] Correction to an OSM map

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:25:29 BST 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Bob Maloney <maloneybob at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a complete novice at this so please bearwith me.

We don't like newbies here... oh wait, maybe we do!

Welcome to OSM!

> I noticed that in the OSM map (and cycle map) for Harriman Park in New York
> State that all of a lake is missing! I can provide the lake data as a GPX
> file, an OZIEXPLORER *.plt file or perhaps in a shape file to wherever or
> whoever updates the maps.

You've come to the right place... let me introduce you to the guy that
updates the map.

Bob, this is Bob.

OSM is a community based map. It is crowd sourced, and you can be part
of the crowd.

If you have gathered the GPX file information yourself (by walking the
lake shoreline), you can upload that data to the database right now.
Once it is in the database, you can turn that GPX file into a way, and
tag it as a lake. Within minutes, the lake will appear on the tiles
for the area.

The biggest thing about OSM is that all of the data entered needs to
be open source. If you have that lake outline copied from another
source that has restrictions such as a copyright, then that
information can't be included in the OSM data. OSM maps need to be
free and clear of encumberances.

> To whom and how do I submit this data to get the map corrected.

The easiest way to start in my opinion is to go to the
www.openstreetmap.org website, and create a user account. Once you
have the account set up, click on the GPS Traces tab. Then click on
the link at the top of the page that says See just your traces, or
upload a trace.

Upload your GPX file. After a few seconds, your GPX file will be
available. Click the edit link, and you will be fired into the
Potlatch editor. You can choose edit live or edit with save. Probably
choose the edit with save option for now. Also click the box that says
Convert GPX tracks to ways. This will take that GPX track,and turn it
into a way (thick red line).

If your GPX track is good quality, you should get a nice outline of
the lake. If it needs to be cleaned up, you can do that with a little
pointing and clicking. You'll need to join the start and end of the
way that defines the lake so it will become an enclosed area. Add tags
that tell it the area is a lake (natural:water). Add a tag for the
name too if you know it. (name:This Lake) Once you get that done,
unlock the way, and upload your changes.

It might sound a little complicated, but it really isn't all that
hard. If you play with edit with save enabled, you can muck around and
not break anything. The data only gets entered into the database when
you save. If you edit live, any changes made happen in the database
immediately.

Don't be worried if you muck things up be accident. If something goes
wrong, and you don't know how to fix it, come back here and put out a
"HELP!!" message. We can undo what you mucked up if need be.

OSM is about getting more people involved, and newbies can always make
mistakes. That's acceptable as long as you learn and continue to play.

BTW, once in the editor, you might notice that there are background
images available. If there are things you see on the image that should
be on the map, feel free to trace them out. Yahoo images are free to
trace according to the restrictions. Don't copy from other images
unless the copyright restrictions are met.

Give it a go, and welcome to the community.

James
VE6SRV