[OSM-newbies] Cannot save using POTLATCH

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 00:44:00 BST 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Bob Maloney <maloneybob at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also plan to load some GPS tracks I have. For instance the Nawahunta Fire
> Road. I have tracks with time stamps. I presume I just input the GPX file
> into the GPS TRACES screen and enter the tag data in comma delimited format.

Cool, looks like you have converting GPX traces to ways figured out.

One thing that you should do, is to connect your Fire Road to the
existing road network. I assume anyway that there is a way to get from
US 6 to the fire road.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.31607&lon=-74.053039&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

Not sure if the track makes it out to another road at the lake or not.
Can't tell from the photos.

It looks like you manually traced in the road rather than
automatically converting the GPX trace to a way, as the way you
created deviates slightly from the GPX trace in some places.

I was wondering if you drove the road or walked through the bush. On
the satellite photos, you can see the tire tracks in some places. The
GPS track that you captured deviates from the trail in the photo quite
a bit. If I traced the tire tracks in the photos, I would come up with
a track that deviates quite a bit from yours.

http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=18&lat=41.30266&lon=-74.06476&layers=00B000TFFFFF

Obviously you're the boots on the ground in the area, and you have
better answers that I do, as I am a couple thousand kms away laying on
my couch...

James
VE6SRV