[OSM-newbies] Shoulder and traffic indicator tags

Daniel Tremblay tremblad at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 12:51:14 BST 2010

Thank you Ramey and Xan for your interest.  I'll think about your
suggestions.

Honestly Xan, I was thinking about something a lot more simple than what you
suggest.  Your suggestion goes far beyond my need and I understand that, if
we want to formalize something, we have to answer as much needs as we can.

If I come back to my little cyclist need, I wonder if I could simply put
cycleway=shoulder.  That would show that: there is a shoulder, it is large
enough to accomodate cycling, cycling is authorized on this road, shoulder
is not reserved for emergency, ...  With about the same logic in mind, I
could say cycleway=no_shoulder, meaning that that road is often used by
cyclists and the traffic is low enough for a relatively safe sharing of the
road between car and bicycle even if there is pratically no shoulder (I have
an example of that near my home).

As I am suggesting adding values to the cycleway tag, I still believe that
the shoulder indicator would be usefull ...

Let think a little bit more about this ...

> Daniel, I'm insterested in that. If you formalize it, please, alert me.
> I think it could be useful:
>     - shoulder={yes,no}
>     - shoulder:width=5 m
>     - shoulder:side={left,right,both}
>     - shoulder:line={continuous, dashed,....} (see [1])
>     - shoulder:access = [all the access] (in some countries, the
> shoulder is for emergency purposes, depending on highway pedestrians and
> biclycles could use it, in some countries it could be used for buses..)

Daniel

Mon blog: http:\\daniel.art.over-blog.com
Facebook: http://fr.facebook.com/people/Daniel_Tremblay/1323011538