[OSM-newbies] possible to get OSM maps with contours on Garmin GPS?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 21 21:45:17 BST 2011

On 21/07/2011 20:46, Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've been using the OSM maps compiled by
> http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ on my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and they
> work great. It would be ideal to have a version with contours, as
> we're gearing up for a cycling trip.
>
> I've looked at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relief_maps#OSM_Maps_showing_relief
> and the contours of (say) opencyclemap look great, but how is it
> possible to get map extracts for Garmin units with the contour
> information included&  displayed on the unit?

Depends on where you want maps for. There are pre-made OSM Garmin maps
that include contours for various parts of the world.
eg for the UK and Ireland there is TalkyToaster or Andy Gates' Munky
Map. Or Openmtbmap for much of Europe.

Or you can get some contour maps in Garmin format, then combine them
with OSM maps yourself. eg for UK and Ireland, see:
http://www.smc.org.uk/ContourMaps.php
Or for the USA: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

If you can't find any ready made Garmin contour maps, you can generate
some. SRTM data is probably the best worldwide option for this. You can
use Srtm2osm and Mkgmap, see the guide here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Topographic_maps_for_garmin_devices

Craig