[OSM-newbies] OSM map of Thailand for Garmin devices?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Jul 24 21:46:39 BST 2011

On 24/07/2011 21:23, Richard Hartmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the wiki [1] lists only one source for maps of Thailand[2] but I can't
> find anything that looks as if it would work with a Garmin device
> (GPSmap 62).
>
> Any and all help in getting a proper map of Thailand on this device
> appreciated :)

The wiki lists a number of "Worldwide" maps, most of them include
Thailand. And they have the option of downloading a map for a single
country, you don't have to download the whole world.

I recommend this website: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Pick Thailand from the drop-down list, and fill in your email address.
You will soon get sent a link to download the map, you need to download
the "osm_routable_gmapsupp.zip" file. Then unzip this, and copy the
gmapsupp.img file to the memory card in the GPS device, in a folder
named "Garmin".

Or you could also use the map from Cloudmade. You need to download the
"thailand.img.zip" file. Then you can unzip the gmapsupp.img file, and
copy it to the memory card as above. Thogh I don't think the Cloudmade
maps support routing, which you might want.

Craig