[OSM-newbies] Data Source

Renaud MICHEL r.h.michel+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 21:48:01 BST 2011

On mercredi 15 juin 2011 at 21:54, ael wrote :
> Well, nearly all my contributions have no source tag. My assumption
> when I joined was that all mapping was assumed to be from some form
> of personal survey, usually gps, unless indicated otherwise. When I
> noticed the source tag, I assumed that its primary use was to
> acknowledge some 3rd party, but legal, source. It seemed silly and
> redundant to
> add an extra tag for gps survey which I took to be the default.
>
> Surely I am not the only one who interpreted things this way?
> So far as I recall, when I looked at other people's contributions
> in my area, I seldom saw a source tag. That reinforced my assumption.

You don't need to put a source tag on each object you edit, it would not be
very useful once multiple person have modified it anyway.

What I've been doing for some month (actually, since I've started using
Bing, before that almost all my edits were from surveys) is try to stick to
a single source of data during an edit session, and put the source tag on
the changeset, which means that all edits made in that changeset are from
that source.

For example, if I've been out taking notes and GPS traces, I will first
enter all that data without any background in JOSM, send it with a
source=survey on the changeset, then eventually load a Bing background and
refine my edits, then send it with a source=bing on the changeset.

--
Renaud Michel