[OSM-newbies] data age

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Sun Jun 26 06:42:16 BST 2011

Augusto,

The details and history of individual OpenStreetMap (OSM) features can
be checked as follows:

- go to http://www.openstreetmap.org/
- zoom to your area of interest (the smaller it is, the better)
- click on the [+] in the upper-right corner of the map
- enable the data overlay
- follow the instructions in the side bar that opens
- at the end, you should be on a similar page like this one with all
details for a given node, way or relation:

For a more comprehensive overview in a given area of interest, you
probably have to make yourself familiar with one scripting language or
another. You don't have to be a programmer in the strict sense, I would
say. I am myself not a programmer, but I managed to read through all
European OSM data as provided in daily updates through
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/.

In my small exercise, I checked the last modification timestamp of ~2
million OSM highway features. Some 50% of them have been last modified
in 2010, about 25% have been last edited in 2009 and another ~25% in
2011. There are also some traces of OSM highways with older modification
timestamps. See this screenshot for a summary of the results:
http://www7.pic-upload.de/26.06.11/6au9q7ja8ny.png

Hope this helps, Hermann