[OSM-newbies] Splitting ways and retaining history

Bob Hawkins bobhawkins at waitrose.com
Thu Sep 29 15:35:42 BST 2011

I fear I might have been overlooking something when editing in JOSM: I have been splitting ways in order to facilitate the addition of particular parts to a relation.  I discovered yesterday that one part loses its history to be replaced by a new version 1 only that is my own edit.  Surely this cannot be correct?  I appreciate that a new id has to be created for one section, but it seems wrong that all previous evidence of who created the way in the first place is lost, and that it seems I am the person responsible.  Is there another practice that should be adopted?