[OSM-newbies] Splitting ways and retaining history

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Thu Sep 29 18:12:21 BST 2011

Bob Hawkins wrote:
> I fear I might have been overlooking something when editing in JOSM: I
> have been splitting ways in order to facilitate the addition of
> particular parts to a relation.  I discovered yesterday that one part
> loses its history to be replaced by a new version 1 only that is my
> own edit.  Surely this cannot be correct?

First things first - you're doing it right.  I wouldn't worry too much
about attributing the history of the way that you split from to the new
way (until someone magically enables it in an editor, which hasn't
happened yet) as you can often work out what way was split from what
other way.

Cheers,
Andy