[OSM-newbies] Garmin codes for Great Britain National Grid

Roger Calvert roger at rogercalvert.me.uk
Sun Jan 1 19:30:51 GMT 2012

Last spring, I made an OSM compatible file available to superimpose the
GB National Grid on OSM maps using mkgmap. At that time I used Garmin
codes 0x1c to 0x1e. These are normally used for administrative
boundaries, but I was unable to find any sensible alternative codes.

I have now found that it is possible to use high numbered codes which
are not allocated, or are allocated to marine applications. I have
successfully applied codes in the 0x10300 range:

national_grid=100km [0x10302 level 3]
national_grid=10km [0x10301 level 2]
national_grid=1km [0x10300 level 1]

These seem to work correctly in MapSource and on a GPS 60CSx.

I have also made suitable TYP file entries, which are available on my
download site http://www.rogercalvert.me.uk/OSM/grid, and are compatible
with the TYP compiler in recent versions of mkgmap.

Note that the compiled IMG file in the download package still uses the
previous codes.

Regards

Roger

Roger Calvert