[OSM-newbies] Memory, graphics or cpu

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Jan 10 15:40:37 GMT 2012

* Russell Tiedt <rustysbbs at gmail.com> [2012-01-07 08:17 +0200]:
> To get maps to redraw quickly and smoothly which is more important,
> the amount of memory a system has available, the power of the CPU,
> or a good graphics card. For use with Potlatch 2, and JOSM.

Memory, definitely.  Potlatch and JOSM make very modest demands on video
cards, especially as compared to modern games, so that shouldn't be a
concern.  I have occasionally had times where I was waiting for JOSM to
finish calculating something, but that sort of thing tends to be rare.  I
have run into memory constraints much more often--when I ran JOSM on a
computer with only 1GB of RAM, I had to close most other programs and even
then I couldn't edit too large (or detailed) an area with JOSM.  It's
mostly happy on a computer with 4GB of RAM, but I still occasionally have
issues if I'm running a lot of other programs and have a lot of objects
loaded into JOSM.

--- --
I know, I know.  It's a Russian thing.  When we're about to do something
stupid, we like to catalog the full extent of our stupidity for future
reference.
                       -- Ivanova (Babylon 5, "A Voice in the Wilderness")