[OSM-newbies] Memory, graphics or cpu

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Jan 11 15:06:48 GMT 2012

On 1/11/12 9:48 AM, Russell Tiedt wrote:
> On 2012/01/10 05:40 PM, Phil! Gold wrote:
>> Memory, definitely.  Potlatch and JOSM make very modest demands on video
>> cards, especially as compared to modern games, so that shouldn't be a
>> concern.  I have occasionally had times where I was waiting for JOSM to
>> finish calculating something, but that sort of thing tends to be
>> rare.  I
>> have run into memory constraints much more often--when I ran JOSM on a
>> computer with only 1GB of RAM, I had to close most other programs and
>> even
>> then I couldn't edit too large (or detailed) an area with JOSM.  It's
>> mostly happy on a computer with 4GB of RAM, but I still occasionally
>> have
>> issues if I'm running a lot of other programs and have a lot of objects
>> loaded into JOSM.
>>
> Which operating system, 32/64bit, and which browser ... ?
i'm not sure  how important the OS really is. JOSM is principally dependent
on the JVM implementation, and should work pretty well in Linux,Windows,
or MacOS (i use JOSM in MacOS at home with good results, and develop Java
code at the day job in Windows XP, and don't think there will be a
noticeable
difference.)

likewise, Potlatch is mostly dependent on the quality of the Flash
implementation.
it may be a touch browser sensitive because of this, but i'd expect good
results
in most modern browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc.)

as Phil said, memory is probably the most important thing. 2G minimum, i
personally don't like running any less than 4G. and if you're using JOSM,
learn how to adjust the JVM memory settings for your native environment
as the JVM likely won't automagically detect all that RAM.

richard