[OSM-newbies] Getting started

Javier Mr javiersdevmail at ymail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:32:01 GMT 2012

Hi,

i'm very new to OSM and related stuff. I've been using OpenLayers for a while but OSM only as a WMS layer.

Now i'm planing to use OSM data for routing. I've been looking around and find several routing engines (like pgRouting or OSMNavigation). What i wan't to know is wich routing engine do you recomend?

The goal is to calculate routes (primarily inside a city) from A to B, walking, by public transport or car. It should combine diferent types of transport (if posible and make sense). Another needed feature is to be able to weigth paths or transport types (maybe we prefer routes using bykes than Bus). And finally, i have see that OSM offers different types of public transport, does it support public bicicles?.

I know it's a lot, general stuff, but i just want a general guideline to how complete these goal. Manuals or projects home pages related are apreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Javier.