[OSM-newbies] Motel names not showing up on OSM?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 13 20:35:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-13 20:54, Charlotte Wolter wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
>           You should follow Clifford's advice. It is a pain to fix
> things that are glued together and should not be.
>           A parking lot is ADJACENT to a hotel, but it is not part of
> the hotel. Also, if one wants to make change to either, they will
> have to be unglued. This is quite difficult to do, when, for example,
> one wants to change a way that has been glued to an adjacent field.

This is wrong. If two areas are physically adjacent to each other, with
nothing in between, then they should be mapped as such. ie sharing nodes
(or as multipolygon relations, with a shared way).
Don't leave a gap on the map if there isn't actually a gap 'on the ground'.

It might make it a bit trickier to edit, but that's more about knowing
how to use the editor. eg in JOSM middle click to select the other way.
And it makes some editing easier - eg if you adjust the position or
improve the accuracy of the building, its correct that it will also move
the parking.

Note linear ways sharing nodes with areas is a separate issue (eg roads
sharing nodes with fields), I think that should be avoided where possible.

Craig