[osm-professional] Elevation values

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 06:08:32 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Neil Woodhouse <Neil.Woodhouse at erdas.com>wrote:

> If I use the OSM data how do I know that things are in
> the right place?

The quick answer is: you don't. I guess it's a matter of trust, like with
Wikipedia articles. And the trust depends on the particular geo. area: those
with higher number of OSM contributors can usually be trusted more than
those with only one. And it's not just a question of the positional
accuracy, it is also about how can you trust something is tagged accurately
(and I think that's even more difficult problem than the positional
accuracy.

Are stats accumulated for same measured points to determine the reliability?

There is something to that effect, but it is probably not very useful for
determining accuracy (for various reasons):
1. The history of an object in OSM database
2. Uploaded GPX traces for the area

Regards,
Igor