[osm-professional] Utility networks OSM initiative

Anthony Beck A.R.Beck at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Mar 3 08:28:19 GMT 2010

Dear Jochen,

Thanks for your detailed response including the links through to the technology stack (very useful). I obviously did not explain myself clearly enough.

I should have stated these assumptions/criteria to make things easier:
This is not intended as a profit making business.
There will be no derivation of OSM data (the whole system should be mapping "wallpaper" agnostic subject to spatial accuracy limits)
Utility data, derived from street survey and field based remote sensing, will be provided by industry under "open" re-use licences
Access to this data "may" need to be constrained to the professional utility sector

It's the latter two points which are at issue. The problem, as I see it, is ingesting "open" (open: would be uninhibit re-use and derivation as long as you are accredited to see it in the first place) and providing it to accredited viewers (i.e. an intrinsically "not open" approach).  My feeling is that the industry is in transition: i.e. over time the industry would be more open to data access outside the industry. At that point it may be appropriate to integrate such data into the sub-surface special interest groups and forks in OSM.

I take your point on the technology stack and think that would be the direction for this to take: setting up a seperate server, using the tech stack and deploying our solution. I would imagine that the system articulate underlying data in the emerging integrated utility data standards. This can be shared with the community and may be able to influence the more open developments and forks for sub-surface data representation in OSM.

Many thanks

Ant

Anthony Beck
Research Fellow