[OSMF-membership] Managing OSMF membership using CiviCRM

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Thu Jan 8 12:27:21 UTC 2015

On 07/01/15 13:04, Simon Poole wrote:
> [note I volunteered for this group on a rather narrowly defined task]

(For context, I volunteered to offer my software project management
experience - without knowing that any software work had already been done)

> While the board has at least formally never had a FOSS strategy, the
> issue has been breached in the SWG and in general is a touchy topic with
> the OSM community, further we are now having our membership data mined
> by google and are loosing members at least in data privacy aware
> communities because of that. Similar concerns are likely to apply to any
> hosted CRM solution that do not provide us full control over the data.

Could you elaborate on this? How is Google mining the OSMF membership
data, and how many OSMF members are we losing?

> Now we could embark on producing a full spec and going in to a
> evaluation process, but all in all I think that it would be more
> realistic and expedient to simply get the experience with CivicCRM and
> punt anything else to a potential 2nd round of automation down the road
> (right now I don't believe that we could produce anything reasonable as
> a spec that isn't simüly a gigantic wish-list).

I feel producing a spec at the start is useful both to guide
implementation and to help get everyone on a team on the same page.

However, if nobody else here agrees with me, I will shut up and get out
of the way.

Jon.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :    Managing Director    :   SpiffyMap Ltd

jon at spiffymap.net     mobile: 07590 024028     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK