[OSMF-membership] Membership sign up through SOTM US

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jan 20 23:04:52 UTC 2015

Alex,

On 01/20/2015 11:30 PM, Alex Barth wrote:
> How is payment handled? Could there be a coupon code that people use for
> sign up to OSMF? We would issue this coupon code with conference tickets
> that opted into becoming members.
>
> Again, just exploring whether this could be an option.

So the flow you'd be thinking about is something like this (correct me
if wrong):

1. We pre-generate a ton of coupon codes and send them to you

2. When someone signs up for SOTM-US you give them a chance of joining
OSMF for extra $$$

3. When they check that box, they get one of the coupon codes

4. but they will still have to go to the OSMF signup page (at a later
time) to register, and enter their coupon code to pay for their first year

5. after a couple months, when the validity period of the coupons is
over, OSMF invoices OSMF-US for n times £15 depending on how many
coupons were used

I suspect this should be technically possible (Jonathan, can you say
something about that?), of course you'd have to somehow manage to hand
out the individual coupon codes in the course of the Eventbrite signup.

We'd of course have to take this by the OSMF board and the new
membership group but regarding members I guess the more the merrier ;)

Bye
Frederik