[Osmf-talk] Travel-to-panama expenses

Henk Hoff henk at toffehoff.nl
Mon Aug 3 19:42:46 UTC 2009

2009/8/3 Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es>:
> I see your point. And I wouldn't be asking for money if the meeting would have
> a small impact (it will impact NMAs from several countries), or if there was
> already somebody in Panamá capable of attending (we have no-one in Panamá).
> So I hope that the board can see why I am making this request.

I'd like to leave this discussion for the next boardmeeting. If you don't mind.

> So, I'll say that I'd like to see more aggressive action towards mapping
> agencies (specially, MNAs - national mapping agencies). The main goal of the
> OSMF is to have more and better free geodata, and the MAs are the ones with
> that geodata. I do think that lobbying MAs in order to either strike deals,
> or make them publish more geodata (even if it's not OSM-compatible!!) should
> be a priority.

I would strongly support a lobby for open geodata. (or as you say it:
MAPPAS MAPPAS MAPPAS!  ;-) )
Lobbying is banging on doors. Good lobbying is banging on the right
doors. MAs have the data, but most of them have some relationship with
the national government. Therefore it might be good to also do some
outreach to the political establishment.

And, when possible, we might want to join forces with other
open-data/open-source organisations in a joined lobby.

Cheers,
Henk