[Osmf-talk] Chairman

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Aug 3 19:45:59 UTC 2009

Hi,

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> I believe strongly that everything else should still come from the
> community, not from OSMF and its board. OSMF shouldn't be setting
> mapping priorities, or saying what should appear on openstreetmap.org,
> for example. Rather, OSMF should work to help the community take these
> decisions for itself.

+1

> On your final point, Nick, I don't intend to stand myself, simply
> because I don't like teleconferences; it's not how I work best.

It has to be said that - unless UK law wildly differs from what I am
used to - that we, the members, have the ultimate say about what OSMF
does and what it doesn't do. We elect a board to act on our behalf, but
if get it wrong for some reason (or if the majority opinion changes due
to the influx of 500 new members all employed by the Ordnance Survey)
then the members can recall directors or make binding decisions forcing
directors' hands. (This of course requires that members get to know what
the board decides in a timely manner.)

That's why I found it strange when recently somebody seemed to suggest
that the role of the members is to elect the board and keep away from
the decision-making process at all other times.

Bye
Frederik