[Osmf-talk] Travel-to-panama expenses

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Aug 4 13:26:24 UTC 2009

At 10:00 PM 3/08/2009, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>> And, when possible, we might want to join forces with other
>> open-data/open-source organisations in a joined lobby.
>
>Open question to all candidates: Geo-lobby yes or no? Any open-* organisati=
>on=20
>you would like to join forces with?

Ally on an issue by issue basis, yes, generally collaborate yes, join permanently no, we need to be able to frame our own method of approach and, as many issues will be at a national level, give freedom for national chapters/affiliates to do the same by themselves.  Perhaps it is a bit arrogant, but there are open (geo) software organisations, Wikipedia is the leader in information about places, but we are The open geodata per se organisation so far(?)

Given our small size and the committment required to follow through, we need to approach this slowly, carefully one at a time.

Lodewijk Gelauff board member, Wikimedia Nederland has approached us saying that the European Wikimedia chapters decided that it would be interesting and desirable to start some level of lobby in Brussels to improve the European legislation and at least to avoid deterioration and wonders if we are interested. He specifically mentioned the issue of freeing "orphan works", copyrighted creative works (maps!) whose owner no longer exists, bankrupt perhaps.  Perhaps this would be a place to start?

Mike