[Osmf-talk] OSM-F membership growth

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 11 22:56:44 UTC 2009

Hi,

Lulu-Ann at gmx.de wrote:
> So let's think about what advantages to people take from joining.

I don't think there should be any (besides the right to vote, perhaps,
but if legally possible I'd even extend that to all mappers.)

I don't want people to join for reasons like "I saved 10% at three
conferences and that was more than the membership fee" or "I get a
glossy monthly membership mag".

Fred's law: Every organisation large enough will start to negotiate
membership discounts with Hertz.

(By that time we'll probably have a membership office with three full
time staff who deal with inquiries about why the glossy mag hasn't
arrived in time and whether we hafe gift membership certificates. I
don't want to go there.)

I'd prefer a message like: "You're working hard to make OSM great. So
now if you want to work even harder, *and* pay money for the privilege,
and you won't even get a golden lapel pin, then join here" ;-)

Bye
Frederik