[Osmf-talk] OPENSTREETMAP FOUNDATION - NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Aug 16 00:20:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:43 AM, Frederik Ramm<frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Nick,
>
> Nick Black wrote:
>> I'm going to be standing for election to the OSM Foundation Board again
>> this year.
>
> Do you and Steve have any comment on Richard Weait's suggestion that
> from every commercial organisation, at most one person should be a
> member of the OSMF board (http://weait.com/cloudmade-layoffs)? I'm very
> supportive of that, although not exactly out of fear that you might both
> be looking for a new job at the same time, but more along the lines of
> what RichardF said in the comments section on that page.

> This would mean that *either* your *or* SteveC should be on the board
> but not both of you. It is of course everyone's right to stand for
> election and let the voters decide if they support Richard's suggestion
> or not - but I would be interested in hearing your opinion.

Nick followed up several times, but I can't see any answer to
Frederik's direct question.  I'd like to hear replies from each of the
candidates on this.

Should any single company be able to hold an unlimited number of seats
on the Foundation board?  A majority?  All?

How does this benefit the Foundation and the community?

If you believe that there should be some limit; legal, moral or
otherwise, where do you think it should be?

There are eleven excellent candidates on the wiki,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM09/Election_to_Board
each qualified and suitable to hold a seat on the board.  Each worthy
of my vote.  How does more than a single candidate from any company
benefit the Foundation and the project?

Best regards,
Richard