[Osmf-talk] Membership

Simon Ward simon at bleah.co.uk
Wed Aug 19 07:07:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 04:35:59PM +0200, Lulu-Ann at gmx.de wrote:
> I noticed that I was not even told my primary key, what would be sufficient, I guess I don't need a membership pass.

Why waste the materials?  You know you’re a member.  If you tell me
you’re a member, I have reason to assume you are (and if I want to make
sure, I can ask the board?).  Sure, it’s nice but I feel it is
unnecessary and a waste of resources.  We could be producing better
geodata instead.

If you’re prepared to pay for the administrative overhead and for these
extra materials to be produced:  At £15 pa, the OSMF membership fee
pales in comparison with other organisations (although there are also
plenty of exceptions).  Associate membership of the FSF is $120 pa, and
you don’t even get to vote.  Students can get a _discounted_ rate of $60
pa which at the current exchange rate I still make that over double the
amount of OSMF membership.

Maybe we should have a higher rate that also includes a membership
card and other materials for peace of mind that you are in fact affirmed
to be a member, and you have proof.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall