[Osmf-talk] Membership

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Aug 19 16:16:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 04:07:30PM +0200, Henk Hoff wrote:
> Important at the moment is: are we capable to identify fully-paid
> members who are eligible to vote for the new board. My opinion: yes we
> are.

Sorry, but thats not what is important. Important is that we as members and
more so the board do what is legally required. And the organisation is
legally required to have a list of members. Ask a lawyer what information
they need to have exactly. Otherwise the board is liable for any problems
and any Joe Schmuck can go to a court, say his membership rights were
violated and we'll be in a huge mess.

I love the OSM project for its openness and that we can do all of this without
much structure. But the OSMF is something totally different. There are rights
and liabilities and money involved. Its in the interest of everybody and
especially the board to be overcorrect in those legal details. Its really not
much work, on the contrary, its much less work to have proper records etc.
because if somebody ask, you just open the binder at the right spot and say:
here it is. Instead of scrambling around and finding excuses why you don't have
the data. Please find out from a laywer what exactly is needed for the
membership registry and then just do it. And just publish the damn thing
without the details (just full name and country, city or so) and be done with
it. Everybody can check whether he or anybody else is on the list. We have
already seen that everybody has a legal right to ask for that information
anyway. Why is this so hard, why do we have to discuss this for days and days.

Jochen