[Osmf-talk] Local Chapters (was: EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 20 07:40:42 UTC 2009

Peter,

Peter Miller wrote:
> I get the impression that there is good support for this approach and
> don't believe that British law would be a problem. Fyi, the current
> draft Local Chapter's agreement there is a requirement for chapters to
> give £10 to the OSMF per member.   "The Federated Organisation will
> pay the Foundation a fee of £10 per annum (or as amended from time-to-
> time) for each of their members, or as otherwise agreed with the
> Foundation.  Identification and contact details of each member to be
> provided to the Foundation and payment to be made to the Foundation
> within 30 days of the joining date of the member to the Federated
> Organisation." [1].

That idea has been more or less scrapped, and a new document is being
drafted on the Wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters

> Personally I see no justification for money flowing from the local
> chapters to the foundation.

Yes; such flow of money may also be problematic if the local chapters
seek charitable/tax-exempt status in their countries. The current idea
is, I believe, to encourage members of local chapters to also become
OSM-F members (as automatically making them a member may again incur
legal problems), and this is something that would provide some funds to
OSM-F. In addition, local chapters could take away some financial
responsibilities from OSM-F e.g. by operating/buying a server or things
like that.

Bye
Frederik