[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Aug 20 10:27:03 UTC 2009

On 20/08/09 11:05, Nick Black wrote:

> I think that the OSM-F membership list should be available for anyone
> to request for their own personal use, in line with the UK Companies
> Act.

We don't really have any choice here - the act is pretty clear.

> My understanding and the understanding of the Board is that because
> the OSM-F is not Data Protection Act registered, we are tightly
> constrained by what we can do with a membership list.  Until last
> night I did not have access to the list.  We can only use it for
> purposes of membership - sending membership reminders is about the
> extent of the actions we can take.  I personally think this is sub
> optimal, which is why I'm working with the other OSM-F Board members
> to get clarification on the DPA and other regulations.

I suspect you're right about the DPA - there is nothing in the Companies
Act to overrule it as far as I can see so unless one of the exemptions
in the DPA applies a registration would be needed.

You'd just better hope nobody makes a formal request for the list of
members of the company before you've sorted out the DPA registration or
you could have a problem on your hands.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)