[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:16:57 UTC 2009

Peter Miller wrote:
>Sent: 20 August 2009 12:06 PM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder)
>Cc: 'Nick Black'; osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE
>

>On 20 Aug 2009, at 11:50, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
>
>> Peter Miller wrote:
>>> Sent: 20 August 2009 11:13 AM
>>> To: Nick Black
>>> Cc: osmf-talk at openstreetmap.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

>>> The Foundation is legally required to register under the Data
>>> Protection Act 1998 and failure to do so is a criminal offence:-
>>> "Notification is a statutory requirement and every organisation that
>>> processes personal information must notify the Information
>>> Commissioner's Office (ICO), unless they are exempt. Failure to
>>> notify
>>> is a criminal offence.
>>
>> Ah, but you have not stated what the exemptions are. We know that we
>> do need
>> to register because of all the things we might need to be able to do
>> with
>> the wider OSM database (the OSM User data). The membership is a
>> different
>> matter and as Nick says, its not a requirement to notify for the
>> purposes of
>> managing an individual's membership as far as I am aware and thus not
>> legally required on what we have used the data for to date, but
>> clearly it
>> is in our interests to do so for the future.
>
>A quick look at the exemptions does indeed appear to confirm that some
>basic stuff is allowed by not-for-profit organisations which may mean
>that all our directors do not 'go straight to jail' (apologies for
>suggesting that they might). I do hope however that we apply if we
>need to so that we can be transparent organisation that we all desire:-

Luckily I was playing monopoly recently and have a "Get out of jail free"
card left :-)

+1 on the transparency and hence why notification and compliance to permit
some use of personal data beyond the restrictions currently imposed is being
actively evaluated and addressed.

>"Not-for-profit organisations
>
>"There is a specific exemption from notification for data controllers
>that are a body or association not established or conducted for
>profit, provided that their processing does not fall outside the
>descriptions in Q8 and Q9.
>
>"As a not-for-profit organisation is all of your processing covered by
>the following descriptions?
>
>"Your processing is only for the purposes of establishing or
>maintaining membership or support for a body or association not
>established or conducted for profit, or providing or administering
>activities for individuals who are either members of the body or
>association or have regular contact with it.
>
>"Your data subjects are restricted to the processing of those for whom
>personal information is necessary for this exempt purpose.
>
>"Your data classes are restricted to personal information that is
>necessary for this exempt purpose.
>
>"Your disclosures other than those made with the consent of the data
>subject are restricted to those third parties that are necessary for
>this exempt purpose.
>
>"The personal information is not kept after the relationship between
>you and the data subject ends, unless (and for so long as) it is
>necessary to do so for the exempt purpose.

Thanks, this is exactly the section we have been working under to date and
the reason why we can't just throw out lists of members and personal info ad
hoc.

Cheers

Andy