[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 11:34:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Jim Brown <jbrown at jwbsystems.com> wrote:

> I have been encouraging everyone I know, who is interested in maps, to join
> OSM and the OSMF.  This includes friends, co workers and suppliers…  Over
> the last week or so a number of people have indicated to me that they could
> not join because of either the lack of a credit card (in a couple cases) or
> the inability to authorize a Ukrainian card in PayPal (in most cases).  I
> told them they could register with my card if needed and that I’d do the
> transaction for them.  I did the transaction in one go which is why the one
> day bump.

PayPal is not the only method of payment.  The sign-up page makes it quite
clear that there are other methods [1].

There have been no enquiries from any CloudMade employee or associate in the
past weeks asking about alternative ways of paying.

The sign-up curve is a smoking gun that indicates a coordinated or directed
campaign.  There is nothing illegitimate about such a campaign but it
carries the appearance to many people of not acting in good faith.

Etienne

[1] http://foundation.openstreetmap.org/join/