[Osmf-talk] Two day of down server is not possible !!!!

Roberto Navoni r.navoni at radionav.it
Sat Aug 22 21:13:48 UTC 2009

Il giorno 22/ago/09, alle ore 18:25, Richard Weait ha scritto:

> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Roberto  
> Navoni<r.navoni at radionav.it> wrote:
>> I read on mailing list that the OSM Server is down this week end. I
>> don't understand how is possible to do that.
>> I think that the Foundation had to solve this possible situation.
>> Infact is simple to prepare an a backup server of OSM and change the
>> DNS configuration so the OSM user can work on backup server ....  the
>> only limit will be that the api is in read only mode.
>> Is important to understand that there're a big number of service that
>> start to use OSM server for they customers.So is not possible to have
>> 2 day of downtime  I think that all around the world is possible to
>> prepare some server as backup of primary for this situation. I think
>> that the first one will be avaible for the next time that the primary
>> server need support.
> Dear Roberto,
> I'm sorry that you did not see the advance notice of the server
> downtime.  We all miss OpenStreetMap when it is temporarily
> unavailable.  It is still possible to collect data to contribute to
> OpenStreetMap once the servers are back.
> If you would like to help the foundation with remote backup services
> in future you may find the following information helpful.

Yes I want to help the fondation with remote backup services.
I yet read all the information about the architecutre of OSM server .  
You are doing a good Job :)

> OpenStreetMap servers.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers
> Please note that the following two references are currently down  
> with the API.
> Server usage statistics
> http://munin.openstreetmap.org/
> Data  and database statistics
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/stats/data_stats.html

> The Foundation board has previously discussed distributing
> OpenStreetMap across multiple locations (IIRC) but I'm not aware of
> any formal decision to pursue or schedule to implement multiple
> hosting.

I think that the Foundation board doing a formal decision about this  
task .

> Best regards,
> Richard.

Thank for you good job
Best Regards
Roberto Navoni

More information about the osmf-talk mailing list