[Osmf-talk] API up after maint. was: Two day of down server is not possible !!!!

Andrew Turner andrew at highearthorbit.com
Sun Aug 23 17:12:21 UTC 2009

Indeed, thanks team.

I would like to discuss how we could address downtimes in the future.
I understand that there is a "primary objective" of OSM.org being used
for editing & maintaining data. However, as OSM becomes more
"mainstream" there is definitely an expectation that it will be up and
reachable at any time by the general public.

It seems like the simplest solution would be to make OSM.org a static
HTML page that links to a static tile cache (perhaps all on S3?) Other
functionality could be turned off, and link to a page that talks about
the downtime - but the basic information about the project and using
it could still work.

I'd be willing to lead on putting this together if anyone else wants to help.

Andrew