[Osmf-talk] API up after maint. was: Two day of down server is not possible !!!!

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sun Aug 23 21:59:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 5:45 PM, Andrew Turner<andrew at highearthorbit.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Frederik Ramm<frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> We could work on educating the public so that the expectation is removed,
>> rather than do what the mainstream expects from us.
>>
>> I'm not totally against what you're suggesting but I sense some "slippery
>> slope" here; maybe it is time to get the message across more clearly that we
>> are not in anyway a Google Maps replacement and if people expect this from
>> us they should change their expectations. (Because they'll be "expecting"
>> routing, and aerial imagery, and "MyMap" features, and all that in no time
>> if we don't set the record straight.)
>
> Any project has a difficult transition moving from a hacking concept
> into a widely used and publicly visible project. If there is actually
> going to be perceived stability and maturity, then yes, OSM will have
> to act in a way that the public expects it to.

Selfishly, I'd like to have the option to keep editing if one of many
OSMWorldWide(tm) nodes is down.  Frankly I was in no danger of editing
yesterday; there was map cake to consume.[1]

Do geographically diverse, multiple data centers make our continued
growth easier?  Or is DB replication / mirroring / db-magic just so
hard that five OSM data centers would be slower than one?

Naively, I presume that if OSM had, say five equally capable data
centers[2], and one was down for power upgrades like UCL this weekend,
that Smart Things could happen to keep everything running, even if at
reduced capacity.

[1] http://weait.com/content/openstreetmap-5th-birthday-party-toronto
[2] presuming that there are five places that would be interested and
capable of hosting OSMWorldWide(tm)/5