[Osmf-talk] Legal edible violations

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Aug 26 19:52:18 UTC 2009

The Foundation's License Working Group has indeed considered this to be a grave matter and felt obligated to consider it at our Tuesday meeting.

May I therefore comment [*] on the various cases.

[1] The Toronto cake.

Clearly, following the correct terms of a the CC BY-SA license, all contributors to OpenStreetMap should have been attributed.  We therefore suggest a simple solution. All 151,815  names should be printed on rice-paper using a legible font. Copies should then be sent to everyone who had a slice of the cake. They should they consume the rice paper in the presence of a notary or other legal professional. Since this is what is known as a legal "cure", we recommend addition of an unpleasant flavour, preferably tasting something between liquorice and gasoline.

[2] The London cupcakes.

On investigation, we find that the author of these geocomestibles is a member of the License Working Group.  We congratulate him on his artistry and pronounce ourselves infallible.

[3] Mr. Gregory Marler's own cake

Certainly a creative, productive, and unexpected use but sadly it cannot be distributed under CC BY-SA.  The pub symbols were made from a sugar-based commercial representation of bottles of a certain extremely well-known soft drinks manufacturer, who we suspect would be less than happy to see their product placed under share-alike provisions.   The good news is that this would not be a problem under ODbL 1.0 . The cake itself would be a Produced Work, allowing the use of mixed data sources with incompatible licenses.

Mike

* The members of the License Working Group are not culinary professionals and cannot offer definitive guidance. Please consult a chef. All opinion offered here is on an "AS IS" basis and may not be fit for purpose. We are not responsible for lack of taste or food poisoning.

Oh yes, and :-) :-)