[Osmf-talk] New license proposal status II

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed Dec 2 20:12:08 GMT 2009

Discussion has picked up again on this list so each License Working Group member will respond individually with their own personal views. Since we may be giving the impression that we acting as a bureaucracy with a slick(?) marketing policy, I hope this will demonstrate that we, like OSM and OSMF in general, represent a very wide range of views and why we are recommending what we think is the best route to both evolve a rational license and to maintain contribution to a single and expanding set of data.

We therefore have not started the vote but will meet again on Friday and would like to begin then.

The vote will take place by sending each OSMF member who was a member on October 13th 2009[*] an email with a website link and a unique and confidential token.  I will announce the start on this list.  To make the voting properly transparent, we will be publishing all the software used to make the vote. We will also publish a list of the tokens and the vote made. The vote will therefore be confidential but you will be able to confirm that it was received, that it was truly as you voted and that it was counted properly.

Other activity:

We have now fully updated the "OSM Contributors agreement" section of the main proposal. I hope that meets concerns about clarity of the change-over process.

http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/3/3c/License_Proposal.pdf

We've also documented how we think backup should proceed - saving the last CC BY SA dataset and dealing with data from contributors that cannot be offered in an ODbL version:
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Backup_Plan>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Backup_Plan . This is an evolving wiki page, so we welcome comments and refinements.

Mike
License Working Group

* October 13th 2009 is the date of the OSM Foundation board meeting that gave the initial go-ahead for the vote.