[Osmf-talk] New license change proposal status

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Dec 2 22:06:21 UTC 2009

Grant,

Grant Slater wrote:
> Everyone agreeing is unfortunately a bit utopian, there will never be
> uniform consensus and there will be those who feel partially
> aggrieved.

That's why we have to do everything to keep the number of partially
aggrieved people low.

I strongly believe that by adding the "yes and by the way I am for PD
anyway" option you will have *less* aggrieved people, not more. And it
doesn't really hurt anyone, unless your ego can't take the risk that
lots of people choose the third option.

If the license change proposal went through like that and you had 90% of
people saying "yes and by the way I am for PD anyway", then what do you
lose except perhaps the right to claim that the majority of OSM
contributors prefers a share-alike license?

It's not that I am calling for a vote. Whether someone says ODbL or PD
would not make a difference, you would still do ODbL.

I don't think that a survey (as suggested by MikeC) which may optionally
be taken by those who care enough to do so and where people can say that
they would have voted PD if they had had the chance cuts it. I want
everyone to be given the yes/no/don't ask again option. I belive that
the number of people agreeing to PD is especially high among those who
don't care, and offering these people an optional survey will not make
them express their mind, leading to distorted survey results.

I would very much prefer us adopting a PD (or CC0 or BSD) license
altogether and I don't see reason for scaremongering. But I can see that
neither side can get all their wishes fulfilled and I am willing to
compromise. I think I could bring myself to agree to a proposal that
lets mappers, if they so desire, declare that their contribution is PD
and at the same time has OSMF use this declaration to implement ODbL.
That way, you would reach out to people like me and give them a serious
opportunity to make their voice count WITHOUT derailing the whole process.

I'm going out on a limb here but even for those who passionately believe
in share-alike, clicking the "ODbL" button will probably feel better if
they do so in the face of having the option to sign away their IP
altogether by clicking "PD"!

I believe that this will result in a majority of people saying PD.
That's it. Everything else would go ahead as planned. But at least this
would be clear and recorded. Because otherwise, over time, funny myths
will build, and in the end people will say that in 2010, OSM mappers
overwhelmingly agreed to ODbL "because they thought share-alike was
important" (not: because they had no other choice).

Speaking of funny myths:

> At the State of the Map conference 2007 an informal vote was held, the
> result was by far in favour of using a By-Attribution Share-Alike type
> license.

Do you have any recording to back that up? Because as I recall this, we
had the panel discussion which Nick was moderating, and right at the
end, after it had emerged that share-alike was fraught with problems,
Nick asked something like "now, after this discussion, who would say
let's just do PD and get on mapping" (or so), and we had a very clear
majority in a show of hands, to which Nick responded with something like
"that's a lot" or "that's clear then" or so. I still hope that the
recording shows up somewhere because I am quite sure that Nick verbally
commented the show of hands, so it would have been caught on tape.

I am surprised that your recollection of this event should be the exact
opposite as mine. But then again, it doesn't matter for the question at
hand - even if all 50 or so people present in that room at SOTM 2007 had
been pro PD, you'd still be recommending a share-alike license, and even
if all 50 had been pro share-alike I would still claim that a large
group of people doesn't care.

Bye
Frederik