[Osmf-talk] New license proposal status II

Juha Christensen juha at ninthrecess.com
Thu Dec 3 07:33:38 UTC 2009

As an OSMF member, it's someone disappointing to see the dialog that is
taking place around this. The license discussion has been on the table for a
long time. There have been calls for people to join the LWG, and later
repeatedly there have been requests for comments that could help the group
form a consensus and get the vote completed.

I wonder what message we're sending to the community by having the process
proceed in accordance with the agreed schedule, only to see it highjacked in
the last minute, just before the agreed vote.

OSMF seems to me to be an organization with plenty of room for a lot of
diverging opinions. Most threads on this list prove this. What I find
disappointing is:

1. This list being turned into the battleground around the vote. I wonder
how many OSMF members have flipped the bit on this list (and stopped
following it) based on the way the list is leveraged to seek to sidestep
perfectly democratic processes and work carrier out by sanctioned working
groups.

2. The notion that a single member can highjack any process, and terrorize
members into canceling agreed processes. Imagine when we're ten thousand
members. How will this work? Will we all have veto powers/highjacking
powers?

Furthermore, I wonder how easy it will be recruit people to put hundreds and
hundreds of volunteer hours into working groups, like the members of the LWG
have done, if we keep designing processes and workstreams, letting them
spend their spare time working away on things and then, AFTER they have
taken feedback and drawn their conclusions, send things in a new random
direction.

We're only at the beginning of the process to map the world, and only at the
beginning of the work to broaden the community to make sure we cover all
corners of the world. There is a lot of work ahead of us, and that work
requires that we all work together, and do that work together following the
agreed processes.

Juha