[Osmf-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] New license proposal status II

Matt Amos matt at asklater.com
Thu Dec 3 12:33:40 UTC 2009

Mike Collinson wrote:
> At first reading, I think the answer is as follows.
>
> - "Unfriendly Map Corp" is obligated to and does release their data under ODbL
>
> - Whether friendly or unfriendly, they never have any obligation to merge in their data improvements into our database.
>
> - However, you or I can.
>
> Does that make sense?
>
> The key will be clause 1 of the Contributor Terms[1] allowing you or I to do.  Is the ODbL license itself explicit permission from them? I'll bring it up for review at an License Working Group in the light of your question.

this isn't the case. "Unfriendly Map Corp"'s data would be ODbL-licensed
and you wouldn't have the rights necessary in clause 2 of the
contributor terms to submit the data to OSM.

basically, there's no good solution to this problem; either we don't
allow ODbL-licensed contributions or we make things much harder if
there's ever a need to re-license in the future.

cheers,

matt