[Osmf-talk] New license change proposal status

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at medemail.com.au
Sat Dec 5 03:32:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Matt Amos wrote:
> i'm not saying that ODbL is ideal - i never have. i'm saying that CC
> BY-SA is totally, utterly, irrecoverably broken and ODbL is the best
> alternative we have at the moment.

I'm not going to accept "this is the best at the moment"
I'm not going to relicence, because in my jurisdiction a database licence is
completely untested.
Copyright does have some legal support in my jurisdiction, but copyright does
NOT extend to facts in a database in Australia. Copyright can be applied to
the design of the database and its tables. However a High Court ruling did not
accept that copyright extended to facts assembled without creativity.

My legal education comes from the "University of Life", not a formal legal
education, but CC-by-SA offers more for my data here and now.
Given a three way choice I'd go CC-by-SA otherwise PD.

Liz